The Rochester Area Business Ethics Foundation and its sponsoring institutions and partners announce the finalists for the 2013 ETHIE Award (originally known as The Rochester Business Ethics Award), now in its second decade. 2013 represents the first year that non-profit organizations are eligible to enter; Rochester is one of just a handful of cities now accepting entries from non-profits.
As decided by an independent panel of judges, six organizations have submitted award entries judged to be outstanding descriptions of their commitment to ethical business practices, earning them places as finalists. Those organizations are:
Optimation Technology, Inc. 50 High Tech Drive Rush, NY 14543 www.optimation.us
• Organization Contact: Jennifer Palumbo (585) 321-2713
• CEO: William Pollock, PE (585) 321-2300
• Primary Products or Services Provided: Engineering and skilled trades services for industrial applications.
D4 LLC 222 Andrews Street Rochester, NY 14604 www.d4discovery.com
• Organization Contact: Kara Martin (585) 512-3780
• CEO: John Holland (585) 385-4040
• Primary Products or Services Provided: D4 is a leading national provider of electronic discovery, computer forensics and litigation support services to AMLAW200 firms and Fortune 1000 companies.
Martino Flynn LLC 175 Sully’s Trail Suite 100 Pittsford, NY 14534 www.martinoflynn.com
• Organization Contact: Raymond Martino (585) 421-0100
• CEO: Raymond Martino (585) 4212-0100
• Primary Products or Services Provided: Advertising, Public Relations, Digital Media
Saelig Company Inc. 71 Perinton Parkway Fairport, NY 14450 www.saelig.com
• Organization Contact: Alan Lowne (585) 385-1750
• CEO: Alan Lowne (585) 385-1750
• Primary Products or Services Provided: Distributor of test & measurement and control products
Rochester Rotary Club 180 Linden Oaks Rochester, New York 14625 www.rochesterrotary.org
• Organization Contact: John White (585) 377-0433
• CEO: Tracey Dreisbach (585) 546-7435
• Primary Products or Services Provided: Affiliated with Rotary International and owners and operators of The Sunshine Campus, a world-class camping experience hosting over 2,500 local children and young adults annually with disabilities and special needs.
Zaretsky and Associates, Inc. 1965 Watson-Hulburt Road Macedon, NY 14502 www.ZaretskyAssociates.com
• Organization Contact: Sharon Coates (585) 377-8330
• CEO: Bruce Zaretsky (585) 377-8330
• Primary Products or Services Provided: Landscape Design/Build and Consult, mostly residential clients with commercial focus on healing gardens to the health care industry.
Area companies and organizations are nominated to enter the awards competition by clients, vendors, consultants, colleagues, employees and others. Nominated organizations can then submit a comprehensive entry with detailed documentation and evidence of their policies and processes that address ethics issues, challenges and opportunities. The judges choose the finalists, and ultimately the award recipients, based on these entries.
“Now in our eleventh year of conducting this competition, we remain impressed by the continued interest among area businesses and non-profits in doing things right,” said Richard Anderson, board chair of the Rochester Area Business Ethics Foundation Board of Directors. “We believe this interest is indicative of the high ethics standards found throughout Rochester’s business community.”
The organizations selected to receive ETHIE awards will be announced at a luncheon event on Tuesday, September 17, 2013 at the Rochester Convention Center. Subsequently, the award recipients from competitions in Rochester and across the nation can enter a national competition known as the American Business Ethics Awards. Over the past few years, four Rochester companies have received national honors: Midnight Janitorial, PAETEC, QED Technologies and Toddler’s Workshop Daycare.
Judging and Criteria
The 2013 judges are:
• Alice Curry, Manager, Employee Care Team, Hammer Packaging.
• John G. Doyle, Jr., President and CEO, Doyle Security Systems, Inc.
• Andy Hislop, CEO of LECESSE Construction, Inc.
• Angella Luyk, CEO, Midnight Janitorial, Inc.
• Anthony Piazza, Esq., Partner, Hiscock & Barclay, LLP.
• Carolyn Portanova, past president and CEO of Catholic Family Center.
• Mario Urso, CPA, Partner at The Bonadio Group.
The judges rate each organization’s entry against a published judging criteria organized along the following lines:
• Executive Commitment to Business Ethics
• Company Ethics Program
• Conflict Resolution Procedures
• Demonstration of Sound Ethical Business Practices
• Demonstration of Good Corporate Citizenship
The ETHIE Awards is a program of the Rochester Area Business Ethics Foundation. Organizational sponsors are the Rochester Chapter of the Society of Financial Service Professionals, the Rochester Business Alliance, and St. John Fisher College. Diamond Sponsor of the Foundation is Sage Rutty & Company. The awards program was established in 1994 by the National Society of Financial Service Professionals. The Rochester awards were initiated in 2003.
Individual and group tickets to the September 17th award luncheon are available by calling (585) 383-1060 or via this secure link.
Bob Loeb, Robert Loeb Communications